Recreation Activities at Each Open Space Property
|Property Name||Hike*||Snow |
|Property Name||Hike||Snow |
|Carter Preserve||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes *||Yes *||No||No||No|
|Great Swamp||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes *||Yes *||Yes *||NA||NA||NA|
|Pasquiset Pond Preserve||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||NA||NA||NA|
|Ninigret NWR Lewis Trail||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes*||No||NA||NA||NA|
|Mill Pond Preserve||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||NA|
|School House Pond||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes *||No||No||NA||Yes||NA|
|Burlingame||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes *||Yes *||Yes *||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ninigret NWR Kettle Pond||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes*||No||NA||NA||NA|
|Ninigret NWR Salt Pond||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes*||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Ninigret Park (Town)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes *||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Ninigret Conservation Area||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes*||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
These are the allowed uses to the best of our knowledge. Allowed uses can change so always check with the property manager or landowner or read signs or brochures at park entrances. Please let us know if we have any errors in this list.
* NA = No Access to water bodies. Simply means there is no shore front on the property, or in the case of swimming on some Town Properties there is no life guard on some properties so the use can’t be allowed.
* Always Hike, Snow Shoe, or Ski on marked trails.
* None of these parks allow dirt bikes, ATVs, or other motorized recreation vehicles.
* Bikes & Horses: In every recreation area where bikes or horses are allowed, these are usually restricted to certain trails. Look for trail markers or literature from specific parks to learn where these activities are allowed. Bikes mean pedal powered, not motorized.
- At South Farm, horses are allowed on the north and south field trails excluding the one that starts at the parking lot. Horses must access the trails from the driveway about 30 yards south of the parking lot. Horses also cannot use the woodland trails.
* Hunting: In every recreation area where hunting is allowed permits are required and some require special permits and or lotteries for permits. Check with the owner of the park you are interested in hunting in to learn of any special rules or restrictions.
* Francis Carter Preserve
- Bowhunting for deer is permitted. During the bowhunting season (September 15 – January 31), all visitors are required to wear a fluorescent orange hat or vest.
- Horseback riding on specified trails. The parking area at the Old Mill Road entrance is large enough to accommodate horse trailers, and there is a manual water pump to provide water for horses.
* Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge
- Opportunities for white-tailed deer hunting are offered on the Refuge areas in two seasons: a mentored Youth Hunt for 12-17 year olds, and archery and firearm seasons for adults. Please check with refuge staff for more details.