- This event has passed.
Celebrate Kettle Pond’s 10th Birthday
September 26, 2015 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
The Rhode Island National Wildlife Refuge Complex is pleased to announce its Wild for the Outdoors special event.
Come join the fun during this free event celebrating the 10-year anniversary of the Kettle Pond Visitor Center in combination with National Hunting and Fishing Day. This fun-filled family event will include interactive information highlighting local partners, such as RIDEM and the Rhode Island Federal Junior Duck Stamp program, in addition to both on-going and scheduled programs throughout the day that are sure to provide fun for all ages. Light refreshments and free prize giveaways will also be included in the day’s festivities.
Programs that are on-going for the entire day include:
- Archery with trained instructors at Kettle Pond’s very own range – and all equipment is provided
- Arts and Crafts Activities including fish painting, critter and fairy house building, and more!
- Scavenger Hunts though the exhibits in the Visitor Center and out on the trails
- … and more!
The list of scheduled programs is as follows:
- 10:00am / Navigation – an introduction to skills using maps, compasses and more while navigating adventures both along local management area trails as well as wilderness navigation
- 11:00am / To Be Announced
- 12:00pm / Join Born To Be Wild Nature Center, specializing in bird of prey rehabilitation, and meet five of their live educational ambassadors to learn about a Red-tailed Hawk, a Falcon, and three species of Owls
- 1:00pm / Once Upon A Glacier: The Real Ice Age – a trail walk exploring glaciation, the formation of Southern Rhode Island, and reading the landscape for present day evidence of glaciers
- 2:00pm / Join Born To Be Wild Nature Center, specializing in bird of prey rehabilitation, and meet five of their live educational ambassadors to learn about a Red-tailed Hawk, a Falcon, and three species of Owls
According to Sarah Griffith, Volunteer Coordinator for the Rhode Island National Wildlife Refuge Complex, “The Refuge is pleased to partner with the Friends of the National Wildlife Refuges of Rhode Island in offering this special event. We look forward to continuing John H. Chafee’s goal for this Kettle Pond Visitor Center to be a resource for the community and strive to provide opportunities to connect its visitors with nature in exciting new ways.”
- September 26, 2015
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Public Programs by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
August 9 @ 7:00 pm
July 28 @ 10:30 am - 11:30 am|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every week that begins at 10:30am on Friday, repeating until July 28, 2017
August 16 @ 7:00 pm