ChurchWoods Grand Opening
At 11:30 am, November 6, 2017, the ChurchWoods Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting took place on Route 1A in Charlestown.
About 50 Federal, State and Local officials, plus 30 individuals were in attendance. Many of the people present were instrumental in funding, managing and building ChurchWoods.
A Scottish bagpiper called all present to join the festivities inside the ChurchWoods Community Center. Charlestown Town Councilor, Denise Rhodes as the Master of Ceremonies welcomed the audience and introduced Pastor Eileen Lindeman who showed those present a welcome bag of essentials that Church of the Holy Spirit had prepared for all the new ChurchWoods residents.
The speakers were in order:
- Invocation: Pastor Eileen Lindeman. Holy Spirit Church
- Master of Ceremonies: Town Councilor Denise Rhodes, Liaison to Affordable Housing Commission and Senior Citizens Commission introduced Senator Jack Reed who was instrumental in obtaining Federal funding for ChurchWoods.
- United States Senator Jack Reed
- Next, Nancy Smith Greer, the head of the HUD Providence Office who commended Federal, State and Local funding.
- Michael Tondra, Chief, RI Office Housing and Community Development explained the State Funding portion.
- State Senator Elaine Morgan commended all those who participated in making ChurchWoods a success.
- State Representative Blake Fillippi spoke about the hard work everyone had done to make ChurchWoods come about in the eight year timeframe.
- Tom Gentz, Former Charlestown Town Council President shared comments with the details of what it took to have ChurchWoods a reality.
- Gerry Bertrand, Washington County Community Development Corp. congratulated and commended all those who made ChurchWoods a reality.
- Then, Pastor Lindeman did the Convocation ending the formal ceremony.
- Other Councilors in attendance: Vice President Julie Carroccia and Bonnie Van Slyke
The Ribbon Cutting took place outside the ChurchWoods Community Center with Geoff Marchant, the driving force behind funding and building ChurchWoods and Senator Reed cutting the Ribbon, surrounded by Master of Ceremonies Denise Rhodes, Charlestown Town Council Vice President Julie Carroccia, Councilor Bonnie Van Slyke, The Right Reverend, Michael Tessman, who named ChurchWoods, Eileen Lindeman, pastor of the Church of the Holy Spirit and others who were instrumental in the successful ChurchWoods Grand Opening.
ChurchWoods’ 24 affordable housing units are fully rented. Move in day is scheduled for November 15, 2017. You can view a PDF of the Grand Opening Program.
Click on any photo below to start a slide show.