Friends of the National Wildlife Refuges of Rhode Island Announce Photo Competition Winners
The Friends of the National Wildlife Refuges of Rhode Island announce the winners of their 15th annual amateur photo competition.
Contestants were asked to submit photos taken on one of the five National Wildlife Refuges in Rhode Island. The Refuges are Ninigret NWR in Charlestown, Trustom Pond NWR in South Kingstown, John H. Chafee NWR at Pettaquamscutt Cove in South Kingstown and Narragansett, Sachuest Point NWR in Middletown and Block Island NWR.
The “Best of Show” has been awarded to “Long View” taken by Josh Simons of Sharon, MA at Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge.
The winners in the four different categories are:
- 1st place: “Trustom Tryst” by Jeanne Sabin of Narragansett, RI taken at Trustom Pond NWR
- 2nd place: “Owl at Sea” by Scott Disnard of Pascoag, RI taken at Sachuest Point NWR
- 3rd place: “I Can See You!” by Marilyn Moffatt of Newport, RI taken at Sachuest Point NWR
- 1st place: “Reaching for the Sky” by Jeanne Sabin of Narragansett, RI at Ninigret NWR
- 2nd place: “Milkweed Magic” by David Demarco of Wakefield, RI taken at Trustom Pond NWR
- 3rd place: “Milkweed Blooming” by Lora Brueck of So. Kingstown, RI taken at Trustom Pond NWR
Children Under Age 14 – Any Subject on a Refuge
- 1st place: “Frog in the Lily Pads” by Logan Jodoin of Exeter, RI taken at Trustom Pond NWR
- 2nd place: “Dragonfly on Lily Pad” by Jake Jodoin of Exeter, RI taken at Trustom Pond NWR
- 3rd place: “Red Squirrel Munching” by Libby Jodoin of Exeter, RI taken at Trustom Pond NWR
- 1st place: “On the Half Shell” by Pam Marsden of Bristol, RI taken at Sachuest Point NWR
- 2nd place: “Creeping Limbs at Trustom” by Robert Mattera of Wakefield, RI taken at Trustom Pond NWR
- 3rd place: “Sachuest Sunset” by Sarah Griffith of Newport, RI taken at Sachuest Point NWR
Awards will be presented to all of the above winners at the opening reception for the exhibit on Sunday, September 13 at 2:00 PM at the U S Fish & Wildlife’s Sachuest Point NWR Visitors Center in Middletown, RI. Attendees at the reception will vote to select the photo they feel is the best and it will receive the People’s Choice Award.
All photos entered will remain on exhibit at the Sachuest Point Visitors Center, Middletown, RI until September 28. Then they will be on exhibit at the Kettle Pond Visitors Center in Charlestown, RI from September 28 to October 13th.